Monday, March 9, 2009

TEARING THROUGH PALLETS

Woke up this morning to a weird flurry of mid March snow. Just moved into a new house with a wood burning stove. Finally. So, now in this weird time of year where some days it feels like winter is done and we can open the doors and windows for the warm late winter sun to come in, and other days it is a blizzard, and other days it is both, now I have no wood pile.

Yesterday I went over to the old house and got the driest of the pallets in preparation for the next remaining months of cold nights. Cut up a few as night fell but didn't want to annoy the new neighborhood.

Today as the snow melted in the late afternoon I tore through a bunch of pallets with my hand me down Black & Decker skilsaw, pretty recklessly. Chunks were flying. After sawing the pallets into thirds I'd use a regular hammer to dislodge the pieces from the cross beams, hitting from behind and firing the pieces directly into the stacked woodpile. At the end I had a beautiful pile of what most people would consider prime kindling, although I'll be using it as my only firewood. It burns really fast and hot. Kind of stupid and wasteful, I know. I'll be going out to get some real firewood soon.

But today in the morning sun as the surprise blizzard burned off we sat in the warm rays next to the blazing pallet wood fire. It was blissful. Hours passed.

(posted by PW, Anacortes)

3 comments:

  1. I for one find your comments inspiring. I have been cutting wood off my property this year, and have a legal cord and a half so far. Somehow burning wood that I myself gathered from my own property will be warmer and more cozy than the wood I bought in previous years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Seems I had a major slowdown this summer, but I am nearing 3 cords now. Wish I had more, but my gout is causing a few delays. Oh well, feels good to have more wood than I ever have before. The original cord and a half is looking good and seasoned. Can't wait to burn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinepanels High Density MDF is compliant Phase II emission limits of the California Air Resources Board Regulation 93120.2 as certified by approved third party certifier.MDF

    ReplyDelete