Saturday, March 14, 2009

SENTIMENTAL CHAINSAW

Finally went out and got some real wood chopping done last evening. Burning pallet pieces gets old. They burn so fast and hot but it seems that the heat doesn't last as long. Plus, it's kind of a waste of prime kindling.
So, out at my parents' house (out in the woods) they took a bunch of trees down about a year ago. These trees have been partially "bucked" and are ready to become excellent firewood. As a new owner of a house with a wood burning stove, in a small northwest town in the last of the winter, amid occasional freak cold snaps, I am grateful to have parents with an abundance of wood that needs chopping and burning.

My dad gave me some great tools. First, an old chainsaw that used to belong to my grandpa. Sentimental chainsaw. No safety bar, some calibration problems, perhaps in need of a sharpening, small, but I am so excited about it. I love chainsawing. A strange and powerful sensation. Also, it's really beautiful looking.

Also I was given an old splitting maul. Nothing special. Pretty dull. It's been repaired a few times.

I chainsawed until the chainsaw stopped working (I think the fuel thing needs some calibration from some experts) and then split rounds until it was too dark to see. In the low light I backed the truck up to the pile and threw everything in.
The wood is pretty wet from sitting out in the NW weather for a year, but there are a few pieces I'm able to burn. Slimy bark falling off, amazing smell, sore muscles. "The wood heats twice" or whatever. Who said that? Thoreau? Would he chop me into pieces for "blogging" about it?
I know this exercise in absurdity (a blog about chopping wood?) will be challenging and the novelty will wear off, but why not see how far we can push it?
All I'm saying is, I chopped some wood and it was awesome, and now I have some hand-me-down tools and a pile of wood drying under the porch. The fire is going. It smells amazing. My work clothes are filthy. My back kind of hurts. I am very happy.

(posted by PW, Anacortes)

3 comments:

  1. It is pretty absurd, but also makes me really want to move to the woods and do this all day every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please continue writing about it. Did you know you can listen to the boring beetles inside the trees?

    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/35257/title/Pop_chirp_bite_crunch_chew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this splitter, makes axes look sad! http://halversonwoodproducts.com/

    ReplyDelete